The Centre of Excellence programme has been running for three years. We currently have 56 accredited Centre of Excellence schools throughout England and Wales, with a further 32 currently working towards receiving the award in the next year. Across the whole of the programme we have so far supported in excess of 2,200 teachers and 50,000 young people to develop financial and enterprise knowledge and skills.
The Centres of Excellence programme recognises and rewards schools who are committing to, developing and continuing excellence in financial and enterprise education within their own school and beyond. We use our team of education consultants to support the schools involved to develop a whole school embedded approach to financial and enterprise education. This ensures that all schools that receive the accreditation have a truly sustainable approach to delivering and developing these areas for the benefit of their young people.
What does a Centre of Excellence look like?
All Centres of Excellence have the following in common:
- Senior leadership commitment – the management of financial and enterprise education is fully supported by the school's senior leadership team;
- A champion – a key teacher with day-to-day responsibility for planning and driving quality finance and enterprise education;
- A cohesive teaching and learning programme – a well planned and high quality provision of financial and enterprise education, delivered within all key stages;
- Effective learning and assessment approaches – trained teachers who can motivate, challenge and assess pupils’ learning;
- Pupil involvement – young people inform and drive and the development of their learning;
- Community engagement – links to other organisations locally and a willingness to use volunteers to add value;
- Dissemination and sustainability – the ability to showcase and disseminate work to inspire other local schools/colleges
More information about the journey a school goes through to become a Centre of Excellence can be found in our ‘Step by Step Guide’.